The Building Inspector is responsible for building permit review and inspections. The Town of Akron has adopted the 2009 International Codes as amended.
Please call Town Hall at (970) 345-2624 to confirm permit requirements before starting any work. All plumbing and electrical permits are handled by the State of Colorado. A Certificate of Occupancy (CO) must be obtained before any building can be occupied.
Building Permit Application Form may be emailed, mailed, or delivered to:
- Mailing Address: Town of Akron, PO Box P, Akron, CO 80720
- Physical Address: 245 Main Avenue, Akron, CO 80720
- Any structure built, placed, or added on to within town limits, i.e. buildings, carports, fences, and etc. will first require completion of a building permit. This also applies to replacing fences and sidewalks.
- All building permits require a plot plan.
- Please submit a completed application to Town Hall prior to building.
- Building fees and use taxes are calculated based on construction cost and due at the same time of submission of application.
- Applicants will be notified once their permit is reviewed and approved.
- If any questions please contact Town Hall at (970) 345-2624.
Solar Installation Permit Requirements
- Building Permit
- Plot Plan
- Manufacturer Installation Directions
- BEFORE INSTALLATION, the local electric company, Y-W Electric, requires a Pre-Application Interconnection Data Form to be submitted to Y-W only: https://www.ywelectric.coop/
sites/ywelectric/files/ documents/Pre-Application_ Data_Form.pdf
- The placement or modification of any mobile home is only allowed in specific locations within Akron.
- A building permit must be attained prior to any placement or modification.
- Fill out a building permit for the Town of Akron and pay the base pay of $24.60.
Google Map the satellite property map and draw in the location to be submitted with the building permit.
- For State of Colorado Installation Permit: Call George Good out of Sterling, Colorado at 970-520-2679.
Please provide installation permit # to Town of Akron once permit is acquired.
- For State of Colorado Plumbing Permit, follow State of Colorado Guidelines.
Please provide plumbing permit # to Town of Akron once permit is acquired.
- For State of Colorado Electrical Permit, follow State of Colorado Guidelines.
Please provide electrical permit # to Town of Akron once permit is acquired.
- Permit required.
- Roofers can add 1 layer of regular shingles or heritage shingles over a regular 3-tab shingled roof, but NOT over a heritage shingled roof.
- Roof loading allowed.
- Ground Snow: 20
- Roof Snow: 30
- Minimal shingle requirement must withstand 110 mph wind.
- Ice and water guard: NOT required by the Town of Akron, please check with your insurance company as this may be a requirement.